Cape town, South Africa
- Explore Western Cape
- Experience 4 different landscapes - ocean, forest, mountains and desert
- Adventure activities - bungy jumping and paragliding
- Route 62
- Road Trip
If you’re looking to see more of the incredible countryside without venturing outside of the Western Cape then this experience is the one. The Garden Route and Klein Karoo along SA's south western coastline offers travelers contrasting landscapes from mountain passes and untouched beaches to paragliding over lagoons and jumping the world's highest bungee natural jump. The 2nd half of the tour ventures into the gems of our unique inland semi-desert region. Africa’s largest cave system, family owned wineries, craft breweries and tasty culinary experiences are rife in this area. 4 Days. 4 Regions, over 1200 kilometers of pure road trip joy! For the traveler looking to experience a little bit of everything that the Western Cape has to offer.
Who Is This Experience Good For
- Anyone who loves nature and adventure outdoor activities
- Anyone who loves beautiful scenery
- Anyone interested in the gastronomy of the destination they are visiting
Meet Our Local Hosts
Your host(s) will be Blaine Smith or Ryan Louw, local South African tourist guides. Blaine has lived in 6 of South Africa’s 9 different provinces and currently ventures all over the country on various expeditions. Ryan chose to make the Western Cape his home after a stint up north, you won’t find a bigger patriot for his country anywhere else! We left the corporate world to celebrate South African people, landscapes and products in that order. We’d love for you to join us! You’ll be in the best of South African hands.
We head east after departing Cape Town and our first stop is SA’s most loved farmstall for a quick breakfast stop (locals love a good farm stall). Established in the sixties, Peregrine has been serving generations of travelers seeking honest homemade fare and warm country hospitality. Situated in the beautiful and fertile Elgin Valley, Peregrine offers an abundance of locally sourced artisanal goods and wholesome, responsibly farmed, fresh produce.
Our journey then takes us to one of the Cape’s best safari experiences, The Botlierskop Game Reserve. Enjoy a relaxed safari in an open Landrover with an expert safari guide who will do their best to bring sightings of lion, elephant, white rhino, buffalo and cheetah. The reserve is also home to giraffe, zebra and numerous antelope species. This Safari drive will take between 2 and 3 hours depending on how much time is spent at each sighting. Lunch (for your own account) will be in the thatch restaurant overlooking the reserve once you have returned from your time with the animals.
Paraglide over the forests and lagoons of the Wilderness or Sedgefield with our friends from Dolphin Paragliding. With over 20 years of experience in this area, using the best gear you’ll get to enjoy a tandem flight over some of the best scenery of the trip. Launch site will depend on where the best winds are for the day. Landing takes place on the beach or a safe open field depending on the launch site. *Weather permitting*
Day 4 - Route 62 back to Cape Town. Quirky Towns. Silverthorn Bubbly or Damn Good Mountain Beer.
A privately owned secret brewery in the mountains of Robertson where you'll be treated to a tour of the beer making process from some pioneers of the SA craft beer industry. The Saggy Stone Brewery is also home to a traditional style pub and grub type outdoor restaurant which is known for its generous portions, live local music on Sundays and homey atmosphere.
-Transportation in a high rise SUV or a 7 seater touring van
- Snack pack on day 1
- Breakfast on days 2, 3 & 4
- Dinner on Day 1 & 2
- Private Guide + Location Step-on Guides where applicable
- Accommodation - 3 Nights Accommodation in 4* Establishments
- Safari Drive at The Botlierskop Game Reserve (2-3hrs)
- Kayaking and Waterfall Walk/Hike
- Braai BBQ Dinner Experience
- Sundowner Drink at end of Day 1 (Pesky Hobbit Craft Gin, Wine or Beer)
- Cango Caves Heritage Tour
- Craft Beer or Wine Tasting Experience on Final Day
- 2 X 500ml water bottles per day
- A Reveler Tours, Nava Apparel branded cap (colour at discretion of the vendor)
What's Not Included- Lunch on all days will be for your own account
- Dinner on day 3
Paragliding Experience - 65 USD excluding camera footage (can only take place should the wind be optimal.)
Bungee Jumping Experience - 100 USD
Bungee Bridge Walk - 15 USD (For those who only want to watch the bungee)
- Wagyu & wine pairing on day 3 - 15 USD
- ANY additional food or beverages purchases
Know Before You Go
- Minimum Needed: 2 people
- Maximum Capacity: 6 people
- Booking Deadline: 14 days before event
- Weather Dependent: No
- Difficulty Level: Easy
- Special Clothing Required: Yes - bring active wear for activities. Warm weather Swimming attire and sun cream for the summer months and kayaking + beach towel
- Special Dietary Restrictions: Yes - All dietary needs catered as best as possible. The Garden Route and Karoo is not as vegan or vegetarian friendly as Cape Town. We have made accommodation for all dietary requests for the breakfasts and dinners included. We'll always try our best to stop at lunch spots to suit everyone but please be aware that they are not as easily found as in the main city
- Extra Cash: Needed for tipping / additional activities (can pay with card)
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a must! Blaine and his team make sure that every second of the side trip is special and memorable. Even the bathroom/snack stops along the road were fascinating, delicious and entertaining (don't even let me get started on the stops of the final day!). This side trip mixes adventure, reflection and amazing food (we'd joke that each day we'd get a part of us exhausted in a good way - either mentally, physically or spiritually). In many moments it felt like I was traveling only with friends and that Blaine was part of our group instead of our guide (hope someday he'll be!). I feel that I got to see a hidden South Africa, with gems only known by specially interested locals. This was indispensable to really get in touch with the story of this region. As Bill mentioned in his review below (above? I don't know where mine will be placed) feel free to send me a message if you want to chat about Garden Route! I bet I can convince you to join it.
This journey is full. Full of action, Full from food, full on. We had Ryan guiding and with his quality attention everything went very smoothly.
This is a MUST DO adventure during your stay in Cape Town! It's so much more than the description. Hiking waterfalls, bungee jumping from bridges, sightseeing majestic animals, exploring caves, eating all the best foods, and laughing till you cry.
Our guide Ryan was wonderful, our hosts the first two nights, Kevin and Elsie, are the absolute best, the accommodations were lovely, the views were stunning, and the whole experience was unforgettable.
Road trip vibes, beautiful views, and fantastic friendly hosts/guides
The trip is so much better than the description!