- Learn about the history of African descent in Peru and how massively important it’s been to our culture
- Learn about the history of the Peruvian box
- Start learning and creating beats as Maluki shares some of the basics to Afro-Latino music
- Get ready as your Salsa instructor will teach you the basics, plus some other tricks
Meet Maluki, a young Afro-Peruvian percussionist who will teach you how to play the Peruvian box and will test your skills through a fun set of beats while creating music for the soul. Learn about the massive importance of African influence in Peruvian music and culture throughout the years. On top of it all, you will also have the chance to learn how to Salsa, no need for experience or a partner. It will be a fun time of musica y baile!!
Who This Experience Is Good For
Anyone interested in culture, music and dance
Meet Our Local Host
Maluki is an Afro-Peruvian percussionist and a good friend of the RY family. Born and raised in Lima. He is also popular for playing for a very famous rock/blues band in Peru
- Meet up and learn about the history of Afro-Peruvian descent
- Our host will show you an explanatory video about the creation of the Peruvian box
- The workshop starts, follow Maluki’s lead and start creating music
- Start dancing Salsa by following your instructor and the beats of the music
- Peruvian box class
- Salsa class
- Your instructors
What's Not Included
- Tips for vendors
Know Before You Go
- Minimum Needed: 07 people
- Maximum Capacity: 14 people
- Booking Deadline: 1 day before the event
- Weather Dependent: No
- Difficulty Level: No experience or previous knowledge is needed
- Special Clothing Required: No but keep in mind that you'll be sitting with your legs on either side of the box, so dresses or skirts are not a wise choice
- Extra Cash: Needed for tipping / donation / additional services
- What To Bring: Comfy clothes and a smile!
- No refunds: There will be no refund in case of delayed flights, train delays, bad weather or other external factors
Frequently Asked Questions
This was a really fun experience! Our group wasn't particularly musically talented but Maluki taught us how to sound amazing using the Cajon. We had so much fun that I nearly forgot that we still had salsa lessons coming. Highly recommend.
This was such a unique and fun experience! Our group had an absolute blast meeting Maluki and learning how to play Cajon. It is a MUST book while you're here in Lima.
Maluki is a good time and very passionate about music which makes this a fun experience. He throws in some interesting cultural details and overall this event helps you understand the origins of music and some method of dancing. I did it twice! Big tip: if you ask, he may even stay awhile after to allow the dancing to continue!
Maluki was great! Had so much fun learning to play the Cajon (I have zero musical ability). Time flew by, fun from start to finish. He even made the salsa steps super easy to pick up. Didn't want it to end. Highly recommend
This was a great event! Maluki is super engaging and knew how to keep everyone (no matter their musical abilities) having fun the whole time. We learned about the history of the cajon and danced a ton! Can't believe this was only $20 tbh.