- Culture & History
- Immerse in the real Turkish Coffee Scene
- Traditional, unknown and third wave coffee
- Learn how to play OKEY: local game played at coffee shops at coffee time
- Get to know your fav spots for the month!
Walk in the local, non-touristy, hipster part of Istanbul that is Moda and feel like a local! Stroll around the streets with Ilkin, a Turkish coffee lover that will share with you fun facts, interesting stories and the culture around coffee that there is in Turkey.
While you are totally immersed in the culture of the coffee in Turkey, Ilkin will teach you how to play local traditional games, like OKEY, in an old hidden coffee shop.
These are some of the questions that you will be able to answer after your time with Ilkin:
- Why did Turks need a coffee made from pistachio?
- How could women divorce their husband because of coffee?
- How did the Turkish flag affect what goes good with coffee in Europe?
- What made black tea more popular than coffee in Turkey?
- How did the Ottoman Empire become the only country that produced and consumed coffee?
- Which coffee shops do locals hangout in?
In total, you will visit 5 local boutique coffee shops and try coffee as much as you wish.
If you have tolerance to caffeine, we may share the cups or you can drink the local drink "Ayran" at the end to get rid of the caffeine!
Who This Experience Is Good For
It is good for coffee lovers, board games lovers, anyone interested in the extensive culture that mixes coffee and tea with board games in Turkey.
Easy, no experience necessary.
Meet Our Local Host
Ilkin is a photography, history and coffee buff and has designed this experience to highlight all of these passions and share them with you. He loves coffee, not only the beautiful smell of the grounded beans, also the history, science and culture of it, compared to traditional and new ways to brew and serve it.
He lives in Kadıköy Moda, the center of local life and coffee shops in Istanbul. So he does the tour in his neighborhood and will take you to these local coffee shops where his friends and him go regularly.
- Local guide: Ilkin
- 5 different types of coffee drinks
- OKEY game play
What's Not Included
- Extra food or drinks not mentioned
Know Before You Go
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes
Minimum To Operate
Deadline To Book
5 days prior to the start of the experience