– The ancient traditional village of Tenganan Pegringsingan
– Stroll around the village full of craftsman
– Taste the fresh locally sourced wild honey from stingless bee
– See how Indonesia’s only double ikat weave woven clothes are made
– Lunch inside the traditional Balinese house in Tenganan Village
Travel back in time with us, back to vintage Bali. Location? Tenganan Village. In this trip, you will be guided by a local with immaculate knowledge of the village’s ancient history. Though they hold the same religion, residents of this village differ from the rest of Bali through their culture. From their cultural calendar to the gods that they worship, you’ll learn about this interesting little time capsule.
You will also get to see things unique to this village; Palm leaf writing, cotton being spun traditionally, as well as the chance to watch the art of weaving; Tenganan’s Geringsing double ikat weave, which uses natural dyes, painstakingly made from materials gathered in the woods. Once that’s done, you’ll enjoy a Balinese lunch in traditional homes.
Who This Experience Is Good For
Culture enthusiast or if you don’t wanna miss out on a true Balinese experience
Easy, in this trip you will be mostly having a village tour guided by the local guide
Meet Our Local Host
Nyoman Suwita or usually called Bli Domplong (“bli” in balinese means the older brother) is a member of Tenganan Pegringsingan customary village. Tenganan is Bali Aga village (Balinese native tribe), It has a unique and relatively different culture compared to other places in Bali. Domplong has dedicated his life to producing high quality handicraft (woven product) and Geringsing (the double ikat cloth). He loves what he is doing and always seeks perfection for his products.
He jumped to tourism in 1999 triggered by his motivation to introduce his village’s culture to the outer world. In the past, many outsiders came to the village, working as guides and telling wrong information about Tenganan Pegringsingan. He, with other young people, initiated the establishment of a village ecotourism network, aiming to give chances for villagers to take part in tourism activities in their own villages. He has no education background in tourism, thus he learned everything by self-taught. Visit the village, stroll around with him, you will be able to fully experience the original culture of this ancient village and get to know the life inside their traditional houses.
- Pick up at the accommodation
- About 2 hours trip to Desa Tenganan on a Minibus
- Forest trekking
- Local wild honey and secang tea tasting
- Lunch inside one of the traditional houses in the village
- Village Tour
- Watch the local made Indonesia’s only woven clothes made with double ikat weave
- Back to Canggu
- Local Guide
- Ground Transportation - Round trip to Desa Tenganan and back to Canggu
- Food - Lunch - Balinese lunch made by the locals. Vegan and vegetarian menu is available.
- Food - Snacks - Local delicacy
- Drinks - A bottle of mineral water, Coffee, Traditional tea made of secang wood
What's Not Included
- Extra purchase of woven clothes is not included
Know Before You Go
- The trip is going to take about 2 hours (could be more depending on the traffic) to the east of Bali. Make sure you have already had breakfast beforehand.
- Packed water and snacks are highly encouraged for the journey.
- Desa Tenganan is considered as Bali Aga, or an area where the indigenous Balinese people live in
- This experience includes forest trekking, wear comfortable shoes with good grips. Recommended to wear closed shoes. The path might get slippery when it rains.
- Please bring sunscreen and hat, alternatively poncho or umbrella in case of rains.
- Tipping for your host/driver is not necessary.
Minimum To Operate
Deadline To Book
7 days prior to the start of the experience