Spend the morning at home with Doña Thelma in her kitchen – Doña Thelma has been cooking since she was 12-years old and has been making tortillas since the tender age of ten! She is a kind and patient mother of nine with an inviting nature that will make you feel at home right away. Under her careful instruction you will
peel, chop, dice and learn to roast the delicious array of seeds and spices for delicious Guatemalan Pepian.
Here a small description on what the class entails:
- 10:00am Arrival and greeting with Family and Remotes, participants are greeted with a welcome drink (either Hibiscus cold tea or Lemonade, chilled with purified ice) - The family introduces themselves with the group and talk a little about the meal they are going to prepare. A family member interprets and translates every step of the way .
- 10:15am Wash Hands and disinfect - Only after this process can the participants of the family (Thelma and Daughter and helpers) also participants can proceed to take off masks.
- 10:25 am Start the lemonade - Because of the setting- we want to keep ourselves hydrated as its a traditional home, and could get warm, we also have fans that will be set up for you to enjoy the experience without overheating.
- 10:45am Veggie chop-up for Rice and Pepian - Meats should be already chopped and in the cooking broth ready to put in the heat, you don't have to deal with the meat chop up as its quite intense.
- 11:00am Pepian Preparation, and Tortilla making. You should help with putting all the veggies that are chopped for the rice, preparing the rice, while putting the veg to cook, as the veggie option needs 30 mins and the meat needs 1 hour. Thats why the chicken broth should be already on the fire.
- 11:35am Start Tortilla making. Try to do your tortillas. This is the most fun part as its quite difficult to make handmade tortillas, and locals are experts at this.
- 12:00 set up table! - Make more lemonade if necessary, clean areas, and prepare the blending of the Pepian sauce, and last preparations in the kitchen and dining area outside. Set the buffet when ready.
- 12:30pm Enjoy lunch! it also includes an optional soda and or beer. You can purchase more if the midday sun is warm, why not?
Food - Dinner - Veggie options will be accommodated
Drinks - Alcoholic Beverage - a Beer for the meal
Drinks - Rosa de jamaica or lemonade upon arrival
Transportation - Round Trip
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
Difficulty Level - Easy
The host of this event is "La Familia del Cafe" Thelma is Fredy's wife. She is an Expert in local cuisine and well known for her flavours in her traditional kitchen at La Familia del Cafe. If you signed up for the Coffee Experience you already got delighted by their smiles, knowledge in coffee and exportation. And now, you can enjoy a real traditional cooking class that is a unique experience to RY. It also gives you more inside details of how we live and cook our meals, apart from spending an amazing life cherishing time and enjoy a meal you have prepared by a local family.
MINIMUM TO OPERATE
DEADLINE TO BOOK
36 hours prior to the start of the experience