– Arts & Crafts
– 2 hour of beading experience at a beautiful local company home
– Located at Sidai Designs
– Come be immersed in nature while you create
Beading classes at the Sidai Center are set outdoors in our serene garden. Beginning with a tour of our workshop where many of our designs are produced, you will be inspired to create your own beautiful piece of jewelry, a perfect memory of Tanzania, to take home with you. The 2 hour class is an immersive cultural experience, allowing you to learn the traditional beading techniques of the Maasai tribe while hearing about Maasai culture. We hope you will be inspired to share about your culture with our beaders too!
Tuesday is market day, when the Maasai women we work with come in from the village so this is a great day to take a class.
Who This Experience Is Good For
Lovers of art, or one who would like to learn a new skill.
Meet Our Local Host
Spending time at Masaai villages in northern Tanzania provided an opportunity to see first-hand the incredible skill and beauty involved in Maasai beadwork. We were in awe and knew it would be adored by design lovers around the world – and so Sidai was born!
Like any handmade business, we started small. Our inception was with just 5 beaders in a small workshop down a dusty back road in Arusha, Tanzania. We grew into a community of more than 120 Maasai beaders and into a center, now open to visitors for shopping and beading workshops.
Since 2014 we have launched jewelry and homeware collections internationally in New York, Paris and London. We have collaborated with Anthropologie, Merci Paris, The Conran Store, Tomorrowland, the Metropolitan Art Museum, NY MOMA and ABC Home Furnishing INC and many more. Our pieces can be found in stores in over 30 countries around the world.
– 9:45 AM meet at RY co working space and head to Sidai Designs
– 10 AM welcome meet the crew and start of beading experience
– 12 PM end of session, you are free to hang out and explore the boutique
– Choose to head back to RY co working space or explore the town on your own
– A 2 hour guided beading class.
– Immersive cultural experience, allowing you to learn the traditional beading techniques of the Maasai tribe while hearing about Maasai culture.
– A tour of our workshop where many of our designs are produced.
– Materials and tools needed to design and make your jewellery.
– Local chai (tea) and biscuits. Accompanied with flavoured water.
What's Not Included
– Merchandise on site
Know Before You Go
– Minimum Needed: 6 people
– Maximum Capacity: 12 people
– Booking Deadline: 7 days before event
– Weather Dependent: No
– Difficulty Level: Easy
– Special Clothing Required: No.
– Special Dietary Restrictions: N/a
– Extra Cash: Needed for tipping / donation / additional services
– Accommodation: This will be an outdoor event at Sidai Designs
– Transportation: Round Trip transportation from co working space can be arranged, but is not included in price.