- Help support an ongoing project at a local school
- Engage with the local community
- Spend a day with local activists and make a difference in Jardim Antlantico’s Community in Florianópolis
It will be a hands-on experience in order to help Olodum Sul with its brand new location at Jardim Atlantico, on the mainland. The structure of the social program is nearly done, however, it does need some last finishing, such as building a fence and gardening. The helpers will have a tour of the premises guided by local activists and get to know the projects that are carried out by Olodum Sul in Florianópolis. After that, we will start building the fence and doing gardening around the yard. The day will end with a musical activity with children assisted by the social program. Every remote is invited to bring 1 KG of food to the school as donation.
Who Is This Experience Good For
Anyone who wants to make a positive impact in the lives of the children assisted by Olodum and those who want to meet local activists that are providing cultural experiences (music, drama, fashion) to vulnerable black children and teenagers
Meet Our Local Host
The group emerged from a carnival joke on April 25, 1979 between friends in Salvador, Bahia. What was supposed to be a momentary leisure option for the residents of the former Maciel-Pelourinho won the world over, and turned into one of the most important institutions of Afro-Brazilian black culture, the Bloco Afro Olodum. The group created actions and programs, such as Olodum School, in Salvador. Florianópolis is the only city that has the Olodum School apart from Salvador. This is a great achievement in order to help vulnerable black children and teenagers of Greater Floripa. The Olodum School is a real space for the participation and expression of the Afro-descendant community, constituting a national and international reference for innovation in the work with art, education and cultural plurality.
8am: Transportation leaves downtown’s meeting point
8:30am: A tour of the school
9am: Hands-on cleaning of the garden and building the fence
1pm: Lunch at the school
2pm: Musical activity with project children and teenagers
3-3:30pm: Transportation heads back to downtown
- Round trip transportation
What's Not Included
Know Before You Go
- Booking Deadline: 5 days before the event
- Weather Dependent: Yes. In case of rain, the date may change.
- Special Clothing Required: Comfortable clothes
- Special Dietary Restrictions: Yes - food may contain gluten
- Extra Cash: not needed
- Transportation: round trip transportation included
- Additional Information: the money will be used to purchase materials for the Olodum Sul project. Also bring 1 kg of food as a donation. This will be Olodum School's last day of term with our help during the morning and activities in the afternoon.