- Arts & Crafts Experience
- An introduction to the world of Kintsugi
- Take home your repaired ware
Experience the final step in Kintsugi, the Japanese art of mending pottery with urushi lacquer mixed with powdered gold or silver. When something breaks in Japan, we treated it as part of its story, rather than disguising the damage. By breathing new life into seemingly broken items, Kintsugi is not only fine art, it's also environmentally conscious.
Who This Experience Is Good For
Anyone who enjoys arts & crafts, history, and using their hands!
Meet Our Local Host
Momoko is a cultural conservationist. Through traditional craftwork and authentic repair techniques, she shares stories and secrets from the Japanese countryside that encourage us to design a richer, more nourishing life.
- Meet at accommodations
- Walk 7 minutes to subway station
- Ride Subway for 5 minutes
- Change to Keihan Line
- Ride Keihan Line for 43 minutes
- Walk for 14 minutes to venue
- The Workshop will be an hour and a half
- Kintsugi Workshop
- Tea and sweets
- Your “repaired” ware
What’s Not Included
- Public Transportation (¥1,180)
Know Before You Go
- Minimum Needed: 4 people
- Maximum Capacity: 6 people
- Booking Deadline: 7 days before event
- Weather Dependent: No
- Difficulty Level: Easy
- Special Clothing Required: No
- Extra Cash: Needed for public transportation
- Transportation: We will be taking two trains
- Additional Info: This is not the "full" kintsugi experience, as it would take multiple sessions over the course of a month or more. You will be doing the final, and most important step.