- Sunset paddle down the Chicago River learning fun facts along the way
- Amazing views of the skyscrapers towering above you
- Watch fireworks from your kayak
- Night time paddle back to the dock illuminated by the glow of the city
- Fun guides leading you the whole way
This unforgettable trip through the beating heart of the city provides an elegant way to view the beauty of Chicago at sunset. Take in the fireworks at the twilight’s last gleaming from the unique vista of a kayak on the rippling waters adjacent to Navy Pier. After the show, paddle back up the river beneath the twinkling lights of some of America’s most beautiful buildings! At just over 3 miles round-trip, this tour is an ideal distance for both amateurs and experienced paddlers alike.
Who This Experience Is Good For
Water lovers, boating enthusiasts, anyone wanting to try a new skill
Moderate, the activity is suited for beginners to experts with trained guides accompanying the group. Basic skills will be taught at the start of the activity.
Meet Our Local Host
Meet Mays. Mays is a friend of the RY Team and will be one of your water guides. She grew up ‘yakking’ at youth camp and spends her summers working for Wateriders, our host and the company who created the first Chicago River kayaking tour. Mays is an art teacher, global traveler (she lived in Thailand and Cambodia) and one of the most fun people to hang with in Chicago. Invite her for a drink after the paddle and make another Chicagoland friend!
- 7pm Meet our guides at the dock
- Skills & safety demo
- Paddle to the lock and down the East Branch of the Chicago River to Navy Pier
- Watch the fireworks from the kayak
- Paddle back under the glow of the city
- Local Guide
- Single or double kayak (choose upon arrival)
- Life vest and paddle
- Safety orientation and paddling lesson
What's Not Included
- Ground Transportation to/from the starting point
- Tips for the guides which is customary
Know Before You Go
- The duration on-wate ~2 hours, orientation/launch ~35 minutes. Distance - approx. 3 miles
- What to wear - Comfortable, water-friendly clothing and shoes are suggested, as you can get wet. "Athleisure" is a popular choice. Denim not recommended. Dress for the weather on the day of the event.
- Weight Limits - Single kayak - 275 lbs (approx.); Double kayak - 475 lbs (approx.)
- Tips are appreciated
Minimum To Operate
Deadline To Book
2 days prior to the start of the experience