- Day Trip
- Ferry ride to Island
- Tour of historical sights
- Immersion & Relaxation
The island of Gorée lies off the coast of Senegal, opposite Dakar. From the 15th to the 19th century, it was the largest slave-trading centre on the African coast. Ruled in succession by the Portuguese, Dutch, English and French, its architecture is characterized by the contrast between the grim slave-quarters and the elegant houses of the slave traders. Today it continues to serve as a reminder of human exploitation and as a sanctuary for reconciliation.
Who This Experience Is Good For
Anyone interested in history & would like to have a relaxing day out.
Meet Our Local Host
Alex is a local tour guide. He speaks French and English. He is excited about all things Dakar. He is looking forward to meeting and hosting remotes at various experiences.
- Meet at workspace at 9:30 am
- Ride together on Taxis to Ferry port
- Ride Ferry to Island
- Site tours
- Lunch stop at restaurant on Ile
- Free time to stroll and explore island
- 3pm ride Ferry back to main land Dakar
- Ride back to workspace together on Taxis
- Taxi to and from workspace, Ferry ride to island, guided tour, house of slaves, communal museum
What’s Not Included
- Lunch fee at restaurant stop
Know Before You Go
- Minimum Needed: 5 people
- Maximum Capacity: 20 people
- Booking Deadline: 5 days before event
- Weather Dependent: No
- Difficulty Level: Easy
- Special Clothing Required: Not required
- Extra Cash: Needed for tipping / additional services
- Transportation: Taxi to ferry together from and to workspace
Frequently Asked Questions
We had some communication issues getting to the ferry on time but once everyone arrived at the island, we had a great tour exploring the history of the island and of Senegal. It is such an interesting place full of history. And there were definitely some ardent sales pitches from the local business women. We had a delicious lunch and then took the ferry back. There are places to stay on the island so may be worth exploring doing an overnight!