This is a traditional Coffee tour and Explanation given by a local family at San Miguel Escobar. We meet Fredy and his family and walk up to his coffee farm in the early morning. We will have an explanation of the process from caring for baby bushes in the nursery to harvesting, roasting and grinding the coffee beans.
Fredy and his sons will explain a bit of the difficulty that local farmers have in exporting their product nevertheless making a decent salary for every day life, so they have a great initiative in the town and help out the community by working together. They will also explain how to identify good and bad beans and the hand labour that this process takes before it ends up in our coffee cups!
You will be guided throughout this experience not only by Fredy and his Sons but also by a general guide to give more insight on this process and experience. After this explanation we will walk back to Fredy's house to enjoy a traditional lunch made by his family and Doña Thelma herself. This is one of the best traditional meals around the area and Thelma is very well known in the town. This activity will take place in the early hours of the morning and will go until after lunch, you will be walking around the town and coffee fields so dress accordingly. The highlight of this experience is understanding more about the coffee industry in this part of the world, getting to know a local coffee farmer and his family, and having a great coffee and meal together in a very traditional home outside of the norm in Antigua
This is good for coffee lovers, coffee haters, people who don't like coffee end up liking it sometimes and overall people who are interested in the culture.
- Round trip transport from Antigua.
- Local coffee growers and guide
- Traditional lunch of Pepian, lemonade and coffee for you to try
- Small hike to the coffee plantation and detailed explanation from 'La Familia del Cafe'
What's Not Included
- Extra coffee.
- You can buy coffee to take back home.
- Tips for the family, guides and coffee growers.
Things You Should Know
- You will be visiting a rural town in the outskirts of Antigua, very traditional, and also having lunch in a very rustic home with the coffee growing family. It could get a little hot as its a traditional galvanise roof, so dress accordingly.
- Most of the family speak very little english so feel free to practice spanish.
Local coffee Farmer from San Miguel Escobar. This is a tailored made experience, different from all the other ordinary coffee tours, we go to a local small farmer
Minimum To Operate
Deadline To Book
48 hours prior to the start of the experience
Frequently Asked Questions
I have very warm memories of sharing time with The Coffee Family. They generously share the entire coffee-growing and making experience with great honesty and humility. The legacy of the family is community development and an attempt to break-through gender and other traditional hierarchical barriers to create more equality and opportunity for everyone. And the cup of coffee, at the end of it all, is heavenly!