-Cultural immersion with a local family from an outskirt town around Antigua
-Getting to know our traditional cuisine
-Cooking and enjoying the meal you have helped prepare, alongside the family
-Going outside of your comfort zone for an eye opening experience into how we Guatemalans live
Spend the morning or evening at home with Doña Thelma or Juana in their traditional Guatemalan style wood fire stove kitchen – Doña Thelma and family have been cooking for a long time and are experts in our local cuisine, Thelma started cooking since she was 12-years old and has been making tortillas since the tender age of ten! She is a kind and patient mother of nine with an inviting nature that will make you feel at home right away, now Thelma has more help with family members that work with tourism and cant now get by with amazing english skills Teresa, Thelmas youngest is the most outgoing and also helps out with a massive smile and charisma. Under their careful instruction you will peel, chop, dice and learn to roast the delicious array of seeds and spices for delicious Guatemalan Pepian.
Here a small description on what the class entails: depending on the weather, and season. We have 2 options:
- 10:00am or 4:00pm - Arrival and greeting with Family and Remotes, participants are greeted with a welcome drink (either Hibiscus cold tea or Lemonade, chilled with purified ice) - The family introduces themselves with the group and talk a little about the meal they are going to prepare. A family member interprets and translates every step of the way .
- 10:15am // 4:15pm Wash Hands and disinfect - Only after this process can the participants of the family (Thelma and Daughter and helpers) also participants can proceed to take off masks.
- 10:25 am //4:25pm Start the lemonade - Because of the setting- we want to keep ourselves hydrated as its a traditional home, and could get warm, we also have fans that will be set up for you to enjoy the experience without overheating.
- 10:45am // 4:45pm Veggie chop-up for Rice and Pepian - Meats should be already chopped and in the cooking broth ready to put in the heat, you don't have to deal with the meat chop up as its quite intense.
- 11:00am // 5pm Pepian Preparation, and Tortilla making. You should help with putting all the veggies that are chopped for the rice, preparing the rice, while putting the veg to cook, as the veggie option needs 30 mins and the meat needs 1 hour. Thats why the chicken broth should be already on the fire.
- 11:35am // 6:35pm Start Tortilla making. Try to do your tortillas. This is the most fun part as its quite difficult to make handmade tortillas, and locals are experts at this.
- 12:00 // 7pm set up table! - Make more lemonade if necessary, clean areas, and prepare the blending of the Pepian sauce, and last preparations in the kitchen and dining area outside. Set the buffet when ready.
- 12:30 // 7:30pm Enjoy lunch or dinner! it also includes an optional soda and or beer. You can purchase more if the midday sun is warm, why not?
Meet our local host
The host of this event is "La Familia del Cafe" Thelma is Fredy's wife. She is an Expert in local cuisine and well known for her flavours in her traditional kitchen at La Familia del Cafe. If you signed up for the Coffee Experience you already got delighted by their smiles, knowledge in coffee and exportation. And now, you can enjoy a real traditional cooking class that is a unique experience to RY. It also gives you more inside details of how we live and cook our meals, apart from spending an amazing life cherishing time and enjoy a meal you have prepared by a local family.
Who this experience is good for
-Foodies and people interested in Traditional food
-Folks who like very cultural an local experiences
-Anyone looking for a family orientated meal
-People who love cooking
-Food - Lunch or Dinner - Veggie options will be accommodated
-Drinks - Alcoholic Beverage - a Beer for the meal
-Drinks - Hibiscus tea (Jamaica) or lemonade upon arrival
-Transportation - Round Trip from San Miguel Escobar
-Private instruction - given by a family member with good english
-Aprons - just in case you don't want to get your clothing dirty
Whats not included
Know before you go
-Bring personal water bottle
-Difficulty Level - Easy - a good opportunity to see how we locals live
-Timed to adapt to dry or wet season in the area, most remotes like the evening option as its after work hours
-Minimum to operate: 13 people
-Maximum Capacity: 20 people
-Deadline to book: 3 days prior to the start of the experience
fREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Wonderful getting to see how locals live, cook, and eat!