- Culture & History
- Visit Princes’ Islands
- Explore the biggest islands Büyükada and get to know the culture around it
- Sunset at the top of the island, next to Monastery
Princes’ Islands is the number one escape plan for many Istanbul residents when the city life becomes stressful. A short ride (30 mins) from Kadıköy takes you to to the quiet, peaceful and green environment of the island. There are four islands next to each other and the biggest one is called Büyükada meaning “The Big Island.
A century ago, Büyükada was popular especially among Istanbul’s Jews and Europeans to pass the summertime. The eclectic style houses they built and the laid-back lifestyle they brought to the island takes you back in time.
You will walk through the streets of the islands, decorated with trees and flowers, have lunch at one of the best restaurants, admire the architecture of the wooden houses (such as Leon Trotsky house or former Greek orphanage) and learn about their history.
Our visit will end at the top of the island, by the Greek Orthodox Church Aya Yorgi/St.
George by watching the sunset with the stunning view of Istanbul and the archipelago.
Who This Experience Is Good For
Anyone interested in history, religion and would like to have a relaxing day out.
12:00 Meet at Moda Pier to go to Büyükada.
12:30 Guided island tour
14:00 Late lunch
15:30 Free time
16:00 Walking to the top (Free time for the ones not going to the top)
18:45 Walk down to the center of Büyükada
20:15 Go back to Moda-Kadıköy
Medium-Hard, 1 km hike in hill to the top of the island after walking approx. 1 hour.
*Anyone who doesn't feel like hiking, there are electric buses to near the top (queueing expected) but there will still be 20 min of steep hike to the top.
Meet Our Local Host
Şermin Utku born and raised in Istanbul. Educated at American Academy for Girls, Istanbul, Earlham College, Richmond, IN (peace and global studies and biochemistry ID), and Boğaziçi University, Istanbul. She is an active member of Purple Roof Women's Shelter and Servas International, Turkish branch. She enjoys going on nature walks, visiting archeological sites, discovering new aspects of biological sciences and meeting new people. She has been conducting tours in Turkey for GCT since 1996.
- Tour guide
- Transport to the island.
- Lunch with a glass of wine/raki/beer/soft drink.
What's Not Included
- Anything not mentioned above
Know Before You Go
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes, hat, maybe a backpack with water and snacks if you think you will need them.
- Weather Dependent: Yes, if there is strong wind or heavy rain the tour might be postponed or cancelled.
- Special Dietary Restrictions: Set menu with meat/fish/vegetarian/vegan options. Talk to us if you are a vegan.
- During the night weather might be chilly, best to get a sweat shirt or a jacket.
- Extra Cash: Needed for tipping / shopping
Minimum To Operate
Deadline to Book
7 days prior to the start of the experience.