- Day Trip to Kyoto
- Visit a UNESCO world heritage site
- Eat at one the most famous udon noodle restaurants in Kyoto
- Explore Gion, the area known for the mysterious Geisha
Full of mysterious back alleys and more temples than you can possibly visit in a life time (it's actually 1600), Kyoto remains one of the top travel destinations in the world, with 17 UNESCO world heritage within the city. In this day trip, you will be exploring Higashiyama, the historically preserved side of the city by the foothills of the eastern mountains, starting at Sanjisangendo, a temple known for its 1001 statues, before heading up to Ginkaku-ji, the famous silver pavilion and home to one of the most beautiful gardens in the world. Many famous cultural practises such as Ikebana (flower arranging), Tea Ceremony, and much of what is part of the Japanese Zen aesthetic was developed at Ginkaku-ji during the 15th century. Eat a traditional Udon and Tempura lunch at Omen (one of the few places that can offer vegan tempura), before heading down to Gion, where if you're lucky, you might catch a glimpse of the mysterious Geisha. End the day exploring the many tastes and smells of Nishiki Market, also known as Kyoto's Kitchen.
Who This Experience Is Good For
This experience is great for anyone who wants to explore Kyoto, is interested in history and traditions, and would like to try some delicious udon and tempura.
Meet Our Local Host
Born in Japan to an American father, Matt is one of the best guides in Kyoto today, having guided over 500 clients since 2009, including the US Ambassador to Japan Rahm Emanuel, and various famous musicians. Matt lives by the phrase 一期一会 (Ichigo Ichie) which is a Japanese saying that translates as "one encounter of one opportunity", meaning that each meeting, everything we experience, is a unique moment never to be repeated again. His goal is to cherish Ichio Ichie with everyone he crosses paths with!
-Meet at 8:40 in front of accommodations
-Walk to Tanimachi 9-chome Station
-Take the Tanimachi line to Temmabashi, change to the Keihan line
-Keihan line to Shichijo Station, where our guide will meet us
-Walk to Sanjusangendo Temple
-Taxi to Ginkaku-ji (The Silver Pavilion)
-Walk down the Philosophers Path to Honen-In
-Tempura Udon lunch at Omen, a traditional udon noodle restaurant (pre-ordered, able to accommodate vegan options)
-Taxi down to Gion, the famous geisha distric
-Walk through Gion to Kenninji Temple
-Walk through Nishiki Market, also known as the Kitchen of Kyoto
- Entrance fees to temples
- Professional Tour Guide
Know Before You Go
- Minimum Needed: 10
- Maximum Capacity: 12 people
- Booking Deadline: 1 week in advance
- Weather Dependent: No - the trip will happen rain or shine. If it's raining, please be prepared with an umbrella.
- Bring your own water to save plastic
- Difficulty Level: Medium (There will be walking, but none of it strenuous)
- Special Clothing Required: Yes - Comfortable walking shoes
- Special Dietary Restrictions: Yes - We will be eating at a udon restaurant, the broth will have soy sauce. If you are vegan, we can make special arrangements for the tempura batter, which normally has egg in it.
- Extra Cash: Needed for subway and Keihan line to Shichijo Station and back ¥1,200, also for any snacks at Nishiki market!
- Transportation: You will be taking the Tanimachi Line subway to Temmabashi, before changing got the Keihan line to Shichijo. The rest of the day is either walking or taxis.